Root Canal Therapy For A Toothache In Chesterfield
Root canal therapy is necessary when the pulp, or the soft tissue inside of your teeth that contains important blood vessels and nerves, becomes diseased or inflamed. When the pulp is affected, you may experience a serious and constant toothache. There are other symptoms besides toothaches associated with the need for a root canal as well. If your teeth are sensitive to hot and cold or the gums around the tooth are swollen, you may benefit from a root canal in Chesterfield. If your tooth is growing dark or developing a bump on the gums near the tooth, the pulp may be diseased or inflamed.
The Root Canal Procedure
- After an examination and X-rays with your Chesterfield dentist, you will be given an anesthetic so that you do not feel any sensitivity or discomfort.
- Your dentist will place a dental dam in the mouth to isolate the tooth that is being worked on.
- An opening will be made in the tooth so that the dentist can remove the damaged pulp.
- The dentist will then clean the space and fill the gap with a material called gutta-percha.
- You will likely return for the final restoration of a crown or another dental device to cover the root canal and keep your smile beautiful.
Advantages of Root Canals
- No more pain caused by the damaged nerves in the pulp
- If a root canal is not performed, the tooth will eventually fall out due to the damaged pulp.
- Biting and chewing can return to normal
- Appearance remains unaffected
- Root canals can last a lifetime.
If you are suffering from regular toothache or any of these other symptoms, come see your Chesterfield dentist to determine if your pulp has been damaged and needs to be removed with root canal therapy. We are happy to work with patients from all over the area, including Creve Coeur and Town and Country!