This article from Chesterfield Smile Design is about the American Dental Association. You have probably seen the ADA logo on toothpaste and floss—but what else do you know about this dental institution?
The ADA’s self-proclaimed mission is to improve the level of public dental health by supporting the dental industry through not-for-profit federal, state, and local societies. It was established in 1859 and is run by its members, which currently total over 160,000.
The ADA Seal of Acceptance seen on many products is not an endorsement per se, but rather is a validation of the claims made by said product. Companies who want to show the ADA logo must submit proof of rigorous scientific testing. Once submitted, the ADA re-tests the product to further verify results.
That’s a lot of re-testing. There are currently over 300 products with the ADA seal.
The ADA does more than assess dental products. Here are some other ways the ADA works to perform its mission:
- Provides resources to support dentists and their practices
- Educates the public about oral health
- Works to expand access to dental care
- Offers guidance on essential issues that influence the dental industry
- Cooperates with other organizations on scientific research projects and public health initiatives
- Offers scholarships to dental students
For a more localized approach to dental care, remember us at Chesterfield Smile Design in Chesterfield MO. We offer general dentistry services, as well as specialties like dental implants and treatment for sleep apnea. Call for an appointment today.
Contact Chesterfield Smile Design:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):